Advertisement

Parrot Poop -- Fertilizer?

topic posted Wed, June 18, 2008 - 5:28 PM by  Tom
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hey, all -- I have two conures that produce copious amounts of shit. I've just been tossing it but suddenly occurred to me: Can some of this avian guano be used for fertilizer? They eat seeds and "special mix" processed bird food. (Rainbow colored stuff.)

Input?

TT
posted by:
Tom
offline Tom
Phoenix
Advertisement
  • Well, i'd think it might be like chicken manure, which is pretty hot stuff, by which i mean not to use it fresh on plants because it will burn them. It would be a VERY good addition to a compost pile, helping to heat it up. If you use it in the garden without composting, don't use it up next to plants, but more in the middle of a row.

But it is most definitely fertilizer and i'd toss it on a compost pile from now on if i were you.
  • Unsu...

Typically, both chicken and sea bird droppings are used as fertilizer. I've never heard of anyone using parrot droppings but I don't see why it wouldn't work? Just in case, you might want to try it on just one plant at first. And I don't know if I'd use it on food plants, unless it's properly composted first.